Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So about that eagle...


I always wanted to go to UNT. My dad was completing his doctoral work at UNT when I was born. I used to ride in a basket on the back of his bike when we would go to the library so he could do research. He and my big sister and brother and my mom would go listen to live jazz at UNT all the time. The eagle was an important icon from my early childhood. We moved when I was four and I told my playmates at the daycare my mom ran out of our house that I would come back to UNT for college. I didn't make it back for my undergraduate degree, but I did finally achieve my goal. That eagle was something to strive for all those years. It represented the education I felt was key to my success. I also think of my dad when I see the eagle. He was a historian, and an expert in native culture. There's more, too....

I think about how perceptive people are described as having the "eagle eye". I will continue to add to this post, I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, signing up for Google wasn't so hard. Took about 35 seconds.

Dude, what an awesome story. I wish I had an beautiful meaningful story like that. I was moved.

I had a classmate that talked about UNT since we were in the 5th grade. It was always her dream to go there - for the Art Dept. During our BFF phase, we would talk about us both going there and how we were going to be roommates. Years later, I still continued to think of UNT as the art mecca of Texas.

Your story just reinforces that belief. :-)