Sunday, March 2, 2008

Tagging as Teaching?

I have spent a week trying to wrap my head around several conversations. On leap day I met with my fellow blogger/artist/teacher/researcher and our professor to discuss our progress. I have been writing in a meandering fashion trying to reflect on many things that I encounter and relate to my learning and teaching. I felt that the tangential posts I was developing were logical until I had the blog opened up on a projector screen. Suddenly I had this sinking feeling that what may to me seem a cohesive process of connecting the dots (or aiding a growing rhizome) may just be a big mess to everyone else. So, I don't think that's how arts based research is supposed to go (?).
I am currently trying to contemplate how I can explain the photography I have been doing for a few years. I know how it is integral to my thinking and my teaching... but how can I tell you?
I have this funny vertical gallery that I add a few pictures from each photo shoot on the right hand side of this page. What questions do these images raise, if any? I think about how this blog could be speaking to people I'll never meet in person. I wonder if they wonder what kind of artist/teacher/researcher I am. I do.
The tags meet me, but I've never seen a writer in the process of tagging.
I wonder who they are.
I recognize some writers' pieces and tags as familiar. I know their unique style.
I have no way to reply to their pieces, so I photograph them.
I wonder where my students will go when they leave my classroom. Will their unique style reflect their experiences with me?
I keep thinking of those six degrees.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pedagogy of tagging

Anonymous said...

any practice-based research will require a looping of
action and reflection
In most cases there is also an abstracting and re-presenting of experience
the framing and analysis of a collection of experiences over time that loop back into a theme, topic, or original question
in this blog you capture multiple experiences both visually and textually and intertextually
i think if you are feeling uncomfortable with the meandering, it may be time to choose one thread of experience and loop within those confines
sometimes constraints can enable
but for me you are already doing this
i cannot read either the images or the text without a looping among the tags - your blogs and your photography
there is a pedagogy of tagging and meandering

Lillian Lewis said...

A pedagogy of meandering reminds me of a Herman Hesse book I once read. Or maybe it was Woody Guthrie's lullabies?

Anonymous said...

check out
http://www.ccfi.educ.ubc.ca/publication/insights/v09n02/exhibits/artography.html